- How to get to Gulmarg
- Attractiveness for tourists
- Trails and slopes
Gulmarg is an Indian settlement and ski resort of the same name, located under the slope of the Pir Panjal ridge in the western Himalayas, has long been of interest to tourists from all over the world for its breathtaking ski runs and vast (from 2,700 to 4,000 meters) ski areas. Located at an altitude of 2690 meters above sea level
An interesting note about this territory is the fact that in ancient times it was called Gaurimarg – in the name of Shiva’s wife. It acquired its current name only in the 16th century from the ruler Yusuf Shah, who was shocked by the magnificent views of the hollow and called it the Valley of Flowers.
How to get to Gulmarg
There are no direct flights to Gulmarg, so outdoor enthusiasts arrive in nearby cities and from there get by transport. The most time-saving option is to arrive at Srinagar International Airport, which is located 50 kilometers from the resort. There are direct bus services, and some require a change in Tangmarg, which is 13 kilometers away. This time is 2-3 hours. The ticket can be purchased for approximately INR 170. Also, in cities, you can use a taxi service, which will cost an average of 25 USD.
Attractiveness for tourists
Gulmarga is a universal complex where everyone will find entertainment to their liking. Of course, most often people come for outdoor activities:
- Snowshoeing or hiking trails in scenic landscapes;
- Golf lessons (the complex has 18 holes);
- The opportunity to try yourself in skiing and snowboarding.
In addition, the organizers took care of the cultural life of tourists. There are bars, cafes and restaurants. One of them is located at an altitude of 3050 meters. You can also find shops with indigenous trinkets, jewelry, souvenirs and national clothes.
Trails and slopes
All slopes are divided into 3 zones located on Mount Afarvat:
- The upper one is marked by relatively simple reliefs, but its area is huge. It contains a small number of prepared tracks. It is perfect for experienced riders who will not be intimidated by steep lean angles.
- There is a track with several branches along the perimeter of the middle zone. A ski patrol runs along it all the time. Ideal for beginners.
- The lower one is not always accessible for skiing, as it does not have such an abundant amount of snow. Nevertheless, sometimes it is possible to descend along it, and it is famous for its steep corners and slopes.
The length of the cable car is 5 kilometers, and the carrying capacity is 600 people per hour.
An interesting fact is that before the construction of the cable car, skiers were lifted up the mountain with the help of helicopters.
Gulmarg is able to please everyone with its cultural programs and various sports. Once in this place, you can completely isolate yourself from the noisy and annoying bustle, enrich your knowledge of the world around you and spend your weekend with pleasure.